Vintage Toy Shops - A dying breed

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Vintage Toy Shops - A dying breed

Post by Uncle Tony on Sat May 11, 2013 9:46 am

Back in the 80's and 90's it was common to see a vintage toy shop or even a comic shop in every city and even some lucky collectors had one in their own suberb.

Unfortunately this is a thing of the past and all the great Vintage Toy shops sadly closed down like Fanatic in Brisbane and we all remember Pippins in Toombul.

Luckily though, for toy collectors, with the likes of Jarrod from Wednesday Toys, Bart at The Time Machine and Myself, we are slowly re-attivating a dying hobby.

I have put together a small film on my shop at the Sunshine Coast, Queensland just to give you an idea of some of the Toys and Collectibles you will see in my shop.

Enjoy the video....it's a lttle rough as I'm no Steven Spielberg...but it does the job

Tony from Uncle Tony's Toys

View user profile http://www.uncletonystoys.com.au

Back to top Go down

Re: Vintage Toy Shops - A dying breed

Post by Wednesday Toys on Sat May 11, 2013 12:47 pm

A great video Tony, thanks for posting it here! I loved looking through your stuff - it's like the Tardis in your shop!

Was nice seeing your Game & Watches too! I used to have a blue one, that may or may not have been a knock-off. I vaguely remember it had spaceships... and maybe you had to save a falling astronaut or something, but that game was a blast. Kids with iPads these days have no idea.

Wednesday Toys - Toy Enthusiast Forum Australia - Facebook - Twitter
Wednesday Toys
Admin

View user profile http://www.wednesdaytoys.com

Back to top Go down

Post by blacklion on Wed May 15, 2013 8:05 am

I loved pippins, my wife (girlfriend) at the time used to go out the every 2nd or so weekend for me to add to my collection, I was pretty sad when he closed down because I used to go there and just wander around for ages looking at everything. From memory I think he had to close to become full time carer for his ill mum... Then a few yrs later I was at work and guess who was in the shed across the road getting everything sorted for auction.. So I would go over there at lunch and sit looking through all the boxes and buy anything I needed or wanted off him and just chat with him. I can't remember the owners name now. Embarassed. But I feel for you guys with ebay and internet trading biting into your business.
blacklion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Tony on Wed May 15, 2013 9:11 am

John Graham was his name and i too used to frequent his shop then eventually selling and trading to him as well.

That shop is greatly missed by many toys fans and was certainly an icon of that era.

Well done John...you are still talked about 20 years on...

Tony

View user profile http://www.uncletonystoys.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum